More than Mindfulness – A series of Programs for Schools
Building resilience and improving well-being because every person deserves better relationships with themselves and others and ways to achieve balance in their lives.
The ‘More than Mindfulness” series of Programs for Schools have been designed to teach a suite of tips and techniques, including mindfulness and focusing to give students and teachers ways to self soothe and grow compassion and resilience.
Who are these Programs
Students of all ages, teachers and parents.
There are 4 programs and 2 tasters.
Summary of programs
A 3 hour Taster – a 3 hour introductory experiential workshop to taste what the full program would be like. In collaboration with the school a 3 hour experiential workshop will be designed and run to get a flavour of what is included in the larger programs. This can be delivered to the teachers, a pilot group or a whole year group. It could also be done at retreats.
A 5 hour Taster – 5 x 40 minute lunch time or after school sessions to be done for example through the month of March. This would be a come and try some techniques and practice through the week and come back for the next session. This allows students and teachers to have more time to sit with and embody the practices.
Program 1 – Mindfulness and relaxation techniques and resilience building tips. A 10 week program including varied formal and informal mindfulness practices, plus guided visualisations and concentrative meditations. Students will also explore their values, aspirations and affirmations. They will look at their strengths, accomplishments, pleasures and worries. In addition they will learn some listening and communication skills and lastly learn the art of being grateful and the difference that can make in their lives. Find out more about Program 1.
Program 2 and 3 – Focusing. Focusing takes Mindfulness a step further. “It allows you to make contact with a special kind of bodily awareness in which your body lets you know what the crux of an issue is and next right step to resolve it” (Dr Gene Gendlin).
This is a 10 week program where students (Program 2) and teachers or parents (Program 4) learn where focusing came from and the 6 step process Gene Gendlin designed. Students can learn to do it for each other and teachers can learn to use it in the classroom or as a self care method. Parents can learn to do it for themselves or with their children. Find out more about Program 2 and 3.
Program 4 – Focusing and Art Therapy. This 10 week program introduces younger students to Focusing via art therapy. “Focusing is a simple and natural process for helping your mind listen to the wisdom of your body, giving you direct access to your own inner compass, where you know the right direction for your life”. – focusing.org Find out more about Focusing and art therapy
What do you get out of learning Mindfulness and Communication and Resilience Tips and techniques (Program 1)
As part of the course participants will explore and learn:
- What makes them anxious or stressed and how our body automatically reacts
- How we don’t have an automatic way to relax
- How we can use different techniques to relax and settle and soothe ourselves
- How to use breath to relax
- How to be mindful and use mindfulness
- How to use a form of concentrative meditation
- How to use guided visualisations for ourselves and others
- How to listen effectively to ourselves and others and communicate more effectively
- How to write and use affirmations, aspirations and know our values
- How to know our strengths, achievements and skills, as well as our weaknesses or worries
- How to show our self, self-compassion and others care and empathy too.
- How to be less hard on ourselves and to strengthen our adult and soothe ourselves.
- How to be grateful and do things that give us pleasure.
What do you get out of learning Focusing? (Program 2, 3 and 4)
- A life skill – which you can use whenever you want to deal with stress or issues. It allows you to know where you are at. It also allows you to be with those parts or somethings so they can feel heard and then they can settle or even show you more.
- A way of allowing and acknowledging whatever comes and accepting yourself just as you are even if something in you is anxious, fearful or sad or joyful.
- A way of settling and soothing yourself
- A way of being with yourself with an attitude of caring and empathy and not being too hard on yourself
- A way to empower yourself and build resilience.
- A way to enable you to relate in more satisfying ways with your family and friends or at work and school
- A way to enhance your creativity and decision-making,
- A way to resolve conflict and reduce stress
- A way to enable you to move forward if you are “stuck” or struggling with issues
- A way to enable deep and lasting emotional healing.
- A way to connect with our spirituality – mind, body and spirit.
In all these program students and teachers learn tips, techniques and methods that build resilience and compassion for themselves and others. The Program is designed so there is toolbox full of tools to choose from. Students and teachers can learn and then choose to use the ways which best suit them. This will lead to greater well-being,
Research and References:
There is a growing body of work that Contemplative neuroscientists, psychologists and Psychotherapists working in this area are doing that is consistently showing that positive psychology techniques, mindfulness and focusing have long lasting benefits that enhance people’s well being. If you are interested, I put together a page of references including books and website links on Focusing and Mindfulness click here.
Interested in running any of these programs at your school?
Get in touch on 0438 412 667 or email on email@example.com if you are interested in running any of these workshops at your school.