We do need to get to the bottom of things, however, making small behavioural changes can make a difference, even if you are “faking it, til you make it”, in the beginning.
10 simple things that can help
- Seek your partner out when you get home or they come home
- Greet them, like you used to with a big hello and a kiss and a “How’s you day been?”
- When they speak be present and pay attention – stop what you are doing for a moment and be in the moment with them.
- Just listen and hold your reaction or response
- Let your partner know what you heard them say and what you understood those words meant and vice versa – take it in turns
- Do more of the things that work and less of the things that don’t work
- Do stuff together
- And do stuff on your own – ie have your own interests
- Socialise with others – your partner is your “significant other” however it is more fulfilling to also have others in your life.
- Be kind to each other and let your partner know you love them either with actions or words or both. Be grateful.